Friday, June 30, 2006

David's Story Part 32: The Troubles

It feels like there should be an introduction to the next part of the story. David turned 18 in February 2005. He did not anticipate graduating until the spring of 2006. Though he had said before that he wanted to live with us and be supported by the agency until graduation, in January 2005 graduation was a very long way away. He had friends in The City who had their own apartments, including Robert who was his on-again, off-again boyfriend.

I feel like the last 3 months of David's placement is a story in itself. It deserves its own title. How about: "A Portrait of A Codependent."

I obsessed. I analyzed. I schemed, or tried to. I fought with fate. I thought that if I found the right words at the right time I could make things be different.

On a discussion forum I participate in someone published a list of codependent jokes. Here are a few:

How can you tell if a codependent has let go of something? It has claw marks all over it.

You're codependent for sure if, when you die, someone else's life flashes in front of your eyes.

Why did the codependent cross the road? To help the chicken make a decision.

What does a codependent have in common with God? They both have a plan for your life.

You know you're a codie if your serenity prayer is...

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to figure out the best way to manipulate the circumstances so that he will see the light and ...



David's Story Part 1: The Beginning
David's Story Part 33: What happened over break

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.