Friday, June 23, 2006

David's Story Part 12: October 2003 at home

10/10
To Mary:

David had 8 teeth extracted today. I have actually been looking forward to the day. Not because of the surgery, but because I needed the quiet afternoon. So I drove him to the appointment. Oral surgeons really push you out of the office quickly. David would have benefited from spending an hour in recovery, but we drug him out to the car. His mouth was packed with gauze so he could not speak, but he was clearly anxious about something. I kept telling him that he was doing fine and that the way he was feeling was normal. It turns out that he was seeing double. It went away, so I am not going to worry about it.

Anyway, there was a mix-up and the pharmacy did not have the drugs so I had to call the doctor and then call the pharmacy and make another trip. David was distressed at the amount of blood in his mouth. I know it was normal, but at one point I found myself getting dizzy dealing with it, so I deserted him. He was doing okay though.

Finally though he is drugged and sleeping. I am settled in the living room for my quiet afternoon.


David got his braces shortly after that. I began to see to what degree he heard and saw what he wanted. I heard the orthodontist tell him he would have the braces for 2 years. He asked if it could take less time than that. The orthodontist said that it was possible, but not likely. "Could they be ready to come off in 18 or 20 months?" "I suppose, but that would be really unusual." The next day David told his social worker that his braces should come off in a year and a half!


10-25-03
To a colleague who had left the school the year before:
It was really good to hear from you too, and I am glad that your new job is working out so well for you.

Life at work is difficult…

…We do have a new kid in the house. His name is David and he is a joy. It is difficult to explain how wonderful it is to have him around. I can feel so beaten down by how miserable everyone at work is right now. If David were not there I know that my exhaustion and sadness would spread to everyone else, at least a little. Andrew especially is a thoughtful kid who tends towards melancholy anyway. You know, sometimes I think the whole family is over-intellectual. We are all capable of analyzing the joy out of anything.

But David is cheerful, not annoyingly perky, but cheerful. This kid has been through hell, and somehow manages to find ways to be happy. Every day when I get home he comes out to the kitchen while I get a glass of water or cup of tea and tells me about his day. I hear about the intrigues at the high school and at the youth group (the one for GLBT kids). I know (or would if I could remember) who is dating whom, who has cheated on whom, and who said what outrageous thing. I never was one for gossip, but he takes a great deal of joy in it.

I don’t know if I am explaining this right. I think if my life were different I would disapprove of his taking pleasure in telling me all this, but it is just what I need. Every day I get 15 to 30 minutes of happiness right when I need it most.

He is good for me and he is good for the boys. He has actually helped Andrew develop some skills for dealing with Brian. Fostering is supposed to be about us helping the kids, but right now it is the other way around. He is a gift.



From Ruby:
Beth,
I have some bad news. David’s younger brother, Dan, is coming back from the pre-adoption situation. I don't have any details yet, but the state worker wanted me David to know. Perhaps you can have David give me a call.


David's Story Part 1: The Beginning
David's Story Part 13: October 2003 at school

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.