Monday, May 15, 2006

responding to non-compliance

Evan's "do it alone" attitude is escalating.

--He forgets to take his meds (which he say make him feel sick), and I think he palms them when I give them directly to him.
--He forgets to call his psychiatrist to talk about getting off his meds or trying to new ones.
--He forgets to go to meetings.
--And finally, he has begun complaining about the rehab counselor.

And, of course, the out-patient program hasn't even started yet.

My problem is that I don't know how to react to all this. I could fight with him, nag, complain. I suppose I could come up with some "consequence" but think the ultimate consequences of that will just be more frustration.

I could do the complete Al-Anon thing and say it is not my problem. He is in charge of his own recovery...yada...yada...yada.

One option seems to be the path to insanity. The other feels irresponsible.

I took a compromise option. I told the rehab counselor that we needed to all have a conversation about what exactly Evan is supposed to do and whether I am supposed to keep her informed as to whether he does them. When I sent this message to the counselor I did not say that he was being non-compliant, but she is a really smart woman. She will figure it out.

I'm glad that I have her, because I really don't know what to do.

1 comment:

  1. I guess that's when you turn it over - in this case to a mediator of sorts.

    Makes sense to me.

    Re your other post. I bet he was disappointed he didn't get to tag along?

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.