Thursday, May 04, 2006

Bill of Rights for 18-year-olds

I wrote this last spring when David was making me crazy. I ran across it sorting files and I couldn't resist putting it up.


18-year-olds -- Demand your rights

Now that you are 18 but still living at home, remember you deserve:

• All the freedom of adulthood and none of the responsibility.

• Free food available 24 hours a day without the inconvenience of family meal times.

• Transportation, not permission, to all events of your choosing.

• The right to excuse yourself from school and not attend your classes. After all, if you don’t graduate you can always live at home – it’s your life not theirs.

• Emotional support and conversation on your schedule! Don’t be fooled by family requests to spend time with you – they need to remember that you are 18 now. Obligations only go one way.

• Free clothing, toiletries, telephone service. If you choose to work you are entitled to spend all your money on recreation – it’s your money; you earned it.

• No more questions about where you are going or when you are coming home. Parents are there to bail you out of trouble, not keep you from getting into it!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:44 PM

    how funny! It applies to my brother too, and he's already 25!!
    I enjoy your site - your kids are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to save this.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.