Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Brian as a political child

Hubby and I were watching the rerun of The Daily Show and listening to John Stewart talk to Madeleine Albright. During the commercial Brian said, "Mom. My teacher says I have to say the Pledge of Allegiance unless you write me a note giving me permission not to!"

Hubby tried to convince Brian that saying the pledge did not mean that you agreed with everything your country was doing, but that you were committed to tying to make it a better place. I said nothing as Hubby knows I stopped saying it when I was about Brian's age. I just realized one day I had no idea what it meant and I wasn't going to recite promises that I did not understand.

Brian did not accept Hubby's argument, "It's just that our president keeps making dumb decisions and we don't care about the people who are dying in Africa and we hate the immigrating people. We have so much in the country, why can't we just share it?"

So I wrote the note. I wrote that we fully support Brian's decision to participate or refrain from participating in all political speech.

After Brian left with the note Hubby just looked at me, smiled and said, "This is all your fault you know."


This is the same teacher who has been making me crazy on other issues as well. But that is another post.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think he needs parental permission to opt out or even a reason.

    But good for him for thinking it through. With or without "after God" (which came in about my sophomore year), it's a meaningless waste of time.

    The girls still say it and I remain neutral.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.