Thursday, February 02, 2006

"Don't do something! Just stand there!"

My husband is very, very good at just standing there. It's probably because he is a special education teacher. He can do nothing effortlessly.

He can notice and care about problems large and small and just stand there. He can just stand there while a child takes five minutes to button up a sweater, struggles with a math problem, or falls down. He makes it look easy.

I can do it too, but I have to work at it.

I have to walk around muttering to myself, "I will not remind Evan (again) about the deadline for the application. I will not come up with three different plans for emancipation complete with deadlines and phone numbers. I will not overwhelm him with my nervous energy. I will not subtly suggest that he is unable to plan for himself. I will let him stumble, pick himself back up and succeed on his own."

I will just stand here.

Maybe it would be easier if I sat down.

1 comment:

  1. Me and Rebecca - I will not make excuses for her or lie to the school. On the other hand, I'll go to war if she's being treated unfairly.

    Of course this is the 3rd generation so it's easier. We live and learn sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.