Saturday, June 30, 2007

She scared da puppy

My blogging buddy showed up this morning. She is not an axe murderer, but she is a terrifier of small dogs.

She, her partner and daughter have been here all day and we really have had a wonderful time. You know how when you read a book and then see the movie and the characters don't fit? In your imagination they looked different, sounded different, behaved differently. Well, that is the opposite of what is happening with this visit. It is not that I had very particular picture of them, but everything that I had imagined fits with who they are. I don't feel like this is the first time I have met them -- more like meeting good friends after a long absence.

So mostly it has been a good time. Everyone has gotten along with every one else.

Except of course for the puppy. He's not really good with visitors. He often won't accept them until after we make it very clear that we like the new-comers. In this case the puppy was initially worried, but my my friend's daughter completely won him over. Though she has been willing to divide her attention among all the animals, mostly she and the Shih Tzu have bonded.

And then my blogging buddy decided she would play with the puppy. Unfortunately her version of playing with the puppy was to raise both hands and growl (or was it a roar?) at the puppy. Surprisingly he did not actually piss himself. He did however bark to raise the dead. He may be small, but he was determined to scare away the monster in my kitchen -- except that he was terrified to get close to it.

I finally had to call Brian and ask him to take the dog outside and calm him. While the dog was outside I gave my blogging buddy some dog treats to bribe him with. She went to great lengths -- even transfered the scent of fake doggy bacon to her shoes! When the dog came back in she offered treats and eventually even taught him to sit. It took a while but the puppy has decided that she is safe.

I don't know that she will ever be his best buddy, that place being of course taken by her daughter, but at least the dog is no longer afraid my friend is going to kill him with an axe in his sleep.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good day. Are we going to be kept in suspense on who the lucky visitor was?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bacchus, I've been trying to figure that out with no success.

    Nosy, aren't we.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny, because my first thought when I read this entry was "ooh, I bet I know who she's talking about!". If I'm right, she and Yondalla are two of the bloggers who seem (understandably) most concerned about keeping identifying details private, so I'm guessing that's why they chose not to specify. In any event, I'm glad you all had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarsmile is correct. We're sort of having fun seeing how many people will guess. If you read the blogs on my blog roll you will figure it out...I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're saying I'm bright enough to look at a blog roll? You overestimate my intelligence by the end of a long day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:56 AM

    Hilarious. I just read the "other" version of the story. And when I came over here and read about the growling/roaring, I about peed my pants.

    You lucky girls. I would have loved to joined in the pancake breakfast!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear there was only a scared puppy and not any blood or missing body parts on either one of you. Excuse me, now I have to go on a blog hunt...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:43 PM

    Good thing you don't have a bigger dog...LOL. Glad y'all are having a good time. Both of you are people I would LOVE to meet:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm jealous! You should come visit us. That way your kids won't be worried about us being ax murderers.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.