Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Negative Energy Still Here

So I'm still in this strange emotional place. The relevant details are this:

Evan did something that hurt someone I don't even know. I don't think he set out to hurt anyone, but he did. I have responded to it in a way that I and my husband, and others who know all the details, feel is appropriate to Evan, particularly considering his age. I honestly believe that I have done everything that I should and everything that would be helpful. The rest is up to him. He can learn from this or not. Though I have been, I think, acting naturally with him, he has been avoiding me. This may, or may not, be an indication of an appropriate level of regret/shame regarding what he had done.

And I want to yell at him like a recovering alcoholic wants a drink.

At every level I know it would be a bad thing. Though the intial burst of energy would feel so good. I could take this negativity inside me and throw it out at him and that moment would be a release. I would enjoy it.

But like an addict I know it wouldn't be just one outburst. It would escalate. It would turn ugly. I would end up in a place where I did not like myself. I would not have helped him.

I could tell myself that it would be for Evan's own good. That he needs to know just how bad what he has done really is. Except I know that he already knows that. Or at least I don't think that there is anything I could do that would be more helpful than what I have done. But even if it were true, I know that I don't want to instigate drama between us because it would help him.

I want it because I want to dump this negative energy. I want to throw it out into the world.

Yep. I am so very like a recovering alcoholic. I walked through a bar yesterday. I ordered a club soda and left. My husband is proud of me. "You did the right thing" he says. I know he is right. But I stand here on the sidewalk, looking at the bar thinking, "G-d, I want a drink."

It would be so easy.

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried kayaking? Or some other kind of sport? Maybe just redirecting the energy would feel good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are times when I simply want to smash "Danielle" for the things she does, especially when they are hurtful to other people.

    I never hit her. I rarely yell at her. But boy, there are times when I want to do both.

    Staying calm (most of the time) makes a bigger impact than losing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it doesn't help but I think you handled it as well as can be done considering the situation and the people.

    I agree with mongoose, something physical to let it all out on. Is there someone you can vent it all out on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you be my sponsor?
    I am so THERE.

    And yes you did handle it appropriately and yes it is the right thing and the right way...

    You are so damn cool.
    You know that right?

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.