Wednesday, May 02, 2007

What do you mean by "liberal"?

My sister goes to an indendent fundamentalist Baptist church. Her particular church is big on sin. What I mean is that it seems that they spend a lot of time thinking and talking about what is sinful and how important it is not to do those things. There is a church school where her now-teenage kids have all gone since kindergarten.

It's getting smaller and smaller though and she sometimes debates moving them to a different Christian school. "It's just that they're all so liberal."

Confused, though I shouldn't be by now, I ask, "Liberal? How are they too liberal?"

"Well, you know. The girls wear pants to school. The teenagers are allowed to date and they listen to contemporary Christian music."

Yep. That's my sister. Trust me, her friends are just as surprised to learn that her sister is a foster parent to gay kids.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:02 PM

    Well, that does make sense. You do know that wearing pants is the first step to becoming a lesbian, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. my paternal grandmother attends a church like that. She disowned me for becoming a catholic but not my cousin for being a lesbian. go figure.

    I remember fondly the great moral debate of 1985 that would stand to condemn countless of women. Were coulots appropriate for women? Were they too much like pants for modesty? The answer for our church was that as long as they were long enough and full enough they were fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it fun being a rebel?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister and I are the same way. She (and her kids) dress like something out of little house on the prairie.

    She's very religious, very Christian, very bible-based.

    We, on the other hand...well, laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now see, I always thought that pants were way more modest and conservative, inaccessible and privacy preserving than dresses could ever be.

    I always figured that if you couldn't climb a tree in it, then it wasn't a reasonable form of clothing.

    Of course, now I am old enough that I don't care who sees my underpants and I wear dresses again because they are much less hot and stuffy than pants.

    I don't have a point. I'm just blathering on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always thought pants were more modest too. I challenge anyone to sneak an illicit peek up a pair of Levis.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.