Monday, May 07, 2007

He's moving back in

Well, nothing is final until it's final. Until he has actually moved his stuff in I would not be terribly shocked if his grandmother convinced him to stay.

So perhaps I should say that he had decided to move back in.

When we first talked, we agreed on rent. I told him how much I wanted him to pay and told him to ask his transitional worker if they would match that. If they do then he is covered for room and board, if they don't then we will talk about how much of his own food he is expected to purchase. (BTW, even if they match it, it is less that 80% of what they gave me in room and board payments when he lived there).

He agreed that the numbers were very reasonable and he is glad that I did not say he could live rent free. He feels like that is part of the problem at Grandma's. He doesn't have to pay rent and so is expected to be helpful. Grandma doesn't want to tell him exactly what labor is required in lieu of rent and he is always in trouble for not having done what no one asked him to do. So he will pay me a minimal amount of rent and will know that is that.

He has talked to his transitional worker who believes his moving out is a wise decision. He did emphasize with the change in the composition in the household, which I for one believe is the explanation for the change in his relationship with his grandmother. His worker will talk to whoever she talks to to see if they can help him to pay me. They are more likely to since I am a foster parent with them. But they might not.

In any case, the money is not so much about the expense of him living there (although that is part of it). It is about him not feeling like an adult who is paying his own way in the world.

I find I am rather excited.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I should congratulate you or tell you that you are crazy. In any case, I hope things work out okay, and that Evan is easier to live with this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I wonder if he will be a better guest this time around because he is choosing to be there?

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.