Thursday, May 24, 2007

So far so good

Brian's new counselor seems to be working out pretty well.

I don't know if I ever told you, but he was working before with a highly recommended cognitive therapist who worked in the classy end of The City. Brian was resistent, thought that the questions the counselor asked were "none of his business" and refused to answer. These were questions like, "Tell me about a situation that makes you feel anxious." When he started making stuff up the counselor and I both agreed it wasn't working.

The new counselor is a local woman who works half a mile from our house. She gave Brian a piece of paper and drawing implements and asked him to draw what his anxiety felt like. They then talked about the different things in the drawing.

I wasn't there. She brought me in at the end to show me the drawings (with his permission) and told me a little of what they talked about. It sounds like he was able to actually tell her about what makes him anxious and what that anxiety feels like.

I am hopeful.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck. I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used art as a way to express my depression and anxiety because I couldn't find the words for it. Even with a vocabulary I still find it hard to talk about it.

    Hopefully this will allow him to share and work on this.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.