Thursday, December 21, 2006

Hearing from Evan

I've been getting short emails from Evan, which are good but also frustrating.

Reading them is like walking into a conversation that has already started. I get an email that starts, "It can just feel so overwhelming, having so many families and so many meals to cook." Then he goes on to tell me that he is looking forward to spending New Year's at the castle.

I write back lists of questions. "Have any families come yet?" "Are you assigned to the kitchen?"
Sometimes I get answers. The first families are arriving on Sunday. The regular cook is out because of a family situation and as Evan has cooking experience, he's given the kitchen duty. It sounds like the regular cook has left him with full instructions.

I told him that I hoped he wasn't too homesick. He reminded me that he has adjusted to new homes of different sorts all of his life, so that wasn't much of a problem. It is good, and it is sad.

Next: More news from Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.