Friday, April 21, 2006

Holding my tongue

Andrew and I went early to the pharmacy to get his prescription fixed again this month. I explained that every month this calendar year we have got the wrong number of pills and had to come back to get it fixed. Now we were back again.

The ever so young pharmacist said, "Is there any reason why you waited a week to tell us about the problem?"

I stared at him a minute. I thought about saying, "Well, I was busy. See I had to go LA to visit my foster son who is in rehab for codeine addiction. I have been going to Al-Anon, seeing a counselor, and talking to friends about whether I can cope with living with a recovering codeine addict -- he's coming home tomorrow. Also, of course, I have been working a full time job, being a wife and mother and doing a little emergency respite for other foster parents."

I didn't though. After the blank stare I just said, "I've been busy."

1 comment:

  1. I cannot tell you how much I admire your restraint.

    I know it's not funny but I'm laughing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.