Monday, August 14, 2006

Problems with my face

Listen...I can't help it. I get this feedback all the time, but I really don't know what to do about it. It is just my face and though I understand that my facial muscles are under my voluntary control, I can't think about it constantly. Besides, even when I do think about my face I am not certain what to do about it.

Apparently when I am confused, my eyebrows crinkle up and I look judgmental.

After Evan complained about it recently I sat at the table, drinking tea, and considering it. Andrew walked in and said, "WHAT are you doing with your face?"

Of course I had not been aware of doing anything with my face. Evan and Hubby came in right about then and I said, "I am trying to figure out how to look confused without frightening people." They all had a good laugh, of course.

Actually with Evan it can be quite entertaining. He will tell me something like, "I told so-and-so that I would do X, but I don't think I will."

Now he mumbles and I will be thinking, "Who is talking about?"

Evan will then say, "Oh! You think that is so horrible don't you? You are the most MORAL person I have ever met. Come on! You do that some times!"

Now really confused I will say, "What do you mean?"

"I know. I know. You think I should keep all my promises. I said I would do it and you think I should. I just don't want to. It's not a huge deal, but now you think I am a terrible person."

"I don't think you are a terrible person." (By now I have caught up, but I confess I like this game.)

"Oh no. I'm not a terrible person; I'm just doing a terrible thing. Do you really think it is that bad?"

"What do you think?"

"I think you should stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Geez! You know, everyone breaks a promise sometimes. I can't believe that you think this is such a big deal. I mean, it is just a little thing. So what do you think I should do?"

"I don't have any idea. What do you think?"

"OKAY! I will call him back and talk to to him. Just stop looking at me like that!"

It's so much easier when they lecture themselves. Maybe I will accept my face just as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.