Monday, December 31, 2007

Breathing

I've been having trouble breathing. No metaphor there. I have a very mild case of asthma is less mild recently.

I had regular asthma when I was an infant. As an adult the only real asthma attack I have had was from sleeping in a very old feather bed. I am very alergic to the mites or whatever it is that lives in old feathers. I spent the night in a hotel room where they removed all the down, at my request, but put cover that had been on the down comforter on the synthetic-fill comforter. I knew as soon as I walked in the room, but it took me a while to find the down-contaminated item, since there were no down pillows or comforters around.

Anyway, I also seem to have what is called "excerise-induced asthma." It only bothers me when it is cold outside. I've dealt with it over the years by avoiding spending time outside when it was cold, and pulling my coat up over my nose when I had to walk outside for any length of time.

Two days I took the dog for a walk. She was being a pill so I did rapid reversals to remind her about heeling. That of course meant breathing in lots of cold dry air. I went home when I realized how stupid I had been. For the next hour I could not get a deep enough breath to speak loudly. I had a cough for the rest of the day.

So I am going to call the doctor and make an appointment. I've decided that I don't want to spend the winter inside.

The weird thing is tht even though I am feel better, I keep "testing" my breathing. I keep taking extra deep breaths of air to see if I can. Of course then I cough.

Ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.