Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy Birthday Roland

Actually, today isn't his birthday, but all the kids were available. Well, not Carl, but I guess I can't have everything. I made us an appointment at a department store protrait studio. I've got a pretty good one of the five boys and another of all of us -- including Andrew's girlfriend and David's boyfriend. Evan didn't bring his boyfriend, though he might have if he realized I was including everyone in the photos who wanted to be there. Brian and Gary's girlfriends were not invited.

We debated about the romantic partners but decided that exactly who are members of our family at any given time is a bit flexible. This is a picture of who we are this years.

I do wish that Carl could have been there though. David says he got photo shop for Christmas and if I give him a photo of Carl he will stick him in the one with the boys. I would like a photo of all six of them.

I'm still having that "six is a complete set" feeling, while at the same time not liking the idea of being done in just a couple of year. Fortunately I don't have to make a decision for a while.

They are really good boys.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you. Your post just told me I need to get a good portrait of (S) before she goes back with her family. We have plenty of pictures, but no portrait. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, good for you!

    And so you know, my great-grandmother couldn't travel for my wedding, so we photoshopped her in and gave her a print -- she was so happy I thought she might stroke out in front of me. Good in general but scary for a 98 year old woman. That stinker should have submitted to the wheelchair for 3 days, and then she could have been there for real, but oh!, pride... She showed all of us a year later when she refused to take pneumonia meds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that you include partners! That is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:42 AM

    LOL this is how you determine the "realness" of a mom...only a "real mom" could look at all the chaos, debt, rotating partners, lies, lost items, frustration with system, etc and still end the post with "they are really good boys"!

    I love that your love is pure, and that you see the glass half full- its a real encouragement to the rest of us out here, just so you know.

    (And before anyone attacks me, I believe its very possible for a child to have more than one "real mom or real dad"- there's room for everyone and there's never too much love!)

    -Mrs Butter B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maerlowe -- Welcome back, and thanks for mentioning how your grandmother liked the photo. I was only thinking about whether a photoshopped picture with Carl would be meaningful to me. I hadn't thought about whether he would like it...and I think he would. There is sort of an obvious place for his head in the photo of all the boys. I'm not certain we can put him in the big family photo.

    And thanks everyone else too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of this is who our family is this year. With photoshop you can have anyone you want there. Maybe Obama???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:37 AM

    Hmmmm...I vote no on the Obama, I'm still confused by his choice in preachers- first the black power guy, now the anti-gay,polyg,etc etc guy.

    I think just like America gets to suggest a pet for the Obamas, maybe we should pick him a church LOL. He seems to jump from one extremist to another, none of which are very pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice thing to do. We try to take family (extended family I mean) pictures on a regular basis. We did it with my brother and sister when they were here over the summer. Although Hubby always has to photoshop the grandkids picture for my dad (we are never able to get everyone together).

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.