Sunday, September 23, 2007

Asperger's?

Someone asked if Frankie might have Asperger's. I don't think so, although it is something that some people have considered. Here's my check list:

Asperger's

Engaging in one-sided, long-winded conversations, without noticing if the listener is listening or trying to change the subject:
-- well, long-winded and one-sided, but my sense is not that he doesn't notice that we are uninterested but that knowing that isn't enough to make him stop.

Displaying unusual nonverbal communication, such as lack of eye contact, few facial expressions, or awkward body postures and gestures
--No. He makes eye contact and has an expressive face. His postures and gestures are appropriate to a younger child.

Showing an intense obsession with one or two specific, narrow subjects, such as baseball statistics, train schedules, weather or snakes
Well, yeah. Although, as obsessed as he with WoW, he is a collector of all sorts of information. He knows all sorts of things. Last night at dinner Evan asked me how my class was going and Frankie said, "Do you know about Socree -- Socrat -- Soe---" "Socrates?" "Yeah! Did you know that he died from poison? They made him take it because he wouldn't stop teaching ... something." I assured him I did know.

Appearing not to understand, empathize with, or be sensitive to others' feelings
No. He can tell what others are feeling, although he generally doesn't know what to do about it.

Having a hard time "reading" other people or understanding humor
Just now he came into the living room with something mess and I only got as far as "Oh" and throwing him a concerned look. He stopped and waited for me to tell him what was bothering me. When I said, "that needs to be in the kitchen" he went without protest.
He understands humor, as long as it is not too subtle. He laughs at the same thing a 7-year-old would. Put on a show with a lot of physical humor and he will roll on the floor laughing.

Speaking in a voice that is monotonous, rigid or unusually fast
Well, fast, but not monotonous or rigid

Moving clumsily, with poor coordination
Yes. Trips over air. All pieces of furniture have joined in a conspiracy against him. I swear chairs stick out their legs when he walks by.

Having an odd posture or a rigid gait
No

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.