Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sweet Alice It Is

You have some really good name ideas. We are calling Andrew's girlfriend "Sweet Alice," although I will usually just refer to her as "Alice" in honor of Cathy's mother who died one year ago and was joined by her husband, Cathy's father, just recently.

When the original Sweet Alice died Cathy wrote to us:

With Dr. Strangelove and the Doo Wop Boys standing in attendance we watched
as she left to join her beloved parents and siblings. There was a tremendous burst of thunder accompanied by a distant lightning bolt and more rumbling thunder.

We all looked around, smiled and said, "Well, she's there."



I would not presume to use her name except by Cathy's request. She did suggest it and I am honored to name Andrew's Girlfriend after such a strong and beloved woman.

You all gave me some wonderful suggestions. I appreciate them!

Cathy does not blog herself, but she is a long-time reader, periodic commenter and email buddy. This blog started out as a way to vent what I couldn't say in other places. It became a way to make many new friends. There are no words for how much that means to me.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you brought delighted laughter in the deep south! As I reread about the adorable Dr. Strangelove and his Merry Band of Interns and StudentsI was again reminded of the wonderful differences in my parents. My mom went out in a flaming blaze of glory, everybody knew it was coming. My dad, not so much. He just quietly slipped away before we really knew what was happening. The difference is staggering, she had been gone for so very long it hardly seemed any different. Just no more thips to the nursing home. I reach for the phone twelve times a day to call my Dad. Oh well, he was six weeks away from 88 and really tired. He also really missed Sweet Alice, they had been married 63 years when she died. Anyway, hears to the new Sweet Alice...long may she reign!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.