Thursday, February 28, 2008

Short Answers

I may write longer answers to these questions later...but here is the short version

Innocent Observer asks:

  • "Why?
  • Does anyone think I can resist the answer "Because"? You did? Silly you.

Inashoe asks:
  • Why did you start blogging?
  • Everyone I knew got tired of listening to me talk about foster care.
  • What type of clothes do you wear? I mean, what is your "style?" Are you a jeans and sweatshirt gal?
  • The bulk of my wardrobe consists of jeans in blue, black, and several shade of brown, and a collection of shirts my mother has made me -- all off the same pattern. Every now and then I send her fabric, and she mails me more shirts. Sometimes I decide I should have more variety and order something off the Lands' End Outlet page. David once insisted on going with me to a store to pick out a bunch of tops that were fashionable at the time. When I was in K-2nd we were required to wear dresses to school. My mother made me a bunch of sturdy corduroy jumpers. They were the best. When you hung from the monkey bars they did not fall over your head -- they stuck straight up. Today I have a couple jumpers (denim, not corduroy) that I love. I would probably still wear jumpers every day, except they are more difficult to find at reasonable prices, and it is much easier to have my mom make me shirts. (We haven't found a jumper pattern that fits me like I want.) I also hate the unspoken requirement that you are not supposed to wear the same shirt two or three days in a row, even if it still looks good and smells clean.
  • What do you love most about your husband?
  • He is kind. He fights fair. He does not get angry easily, but even when he does, he would never even call me a name. I can trust him with my soul.
  • Would you foster a gay girl?
  • Sure. If they ever ask. I don't really know why they don't. There is some evidence that foster parents are more accepting of gay girls ("At least they won't get pregnant"), and some evidence that even though we keep saying, "We have a commitment to GLBT kids" the social workers just hear, "gay boys."

Okay...this is fun. Keep 'em coming.

3 comments:

  1. Honestly I expected "Why not?"

    What are you having for dinner tonight? Do you make a menu? Do you still take turns cooking?

    What is the weather like today? What type of shoes do you wear? What is your favorite fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. how long have you been fostering? how many kids have you had in your home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love question time!

    I know a lot of kids come to you after being in some kind of emotional turmoil relating to their sexual identity, what resources do you provide them (besides a safe loving environment) to help them through that rough time?

    Do you find individual mentors within the GLBT community or organizations that help with the process of coming out or dealing with bias issues.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.