Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I can't eat what?!

Sometimes I really wonder if the Internet is a good thing. I mean, there is so much information and I am an information glutton. I cope with everything by finding out everything I can. I imagine living with to assure myself that I can.

So I did some research on diets that get recommended to people with reduced kidney function who don't want it to reduce further. I took a deep breath and told myself that I had done a strict diet while pregnant, and a less strict one while on Weight Watchers. Also I like really healthy foods. I eat multigrain bread and love lots of veggies. In fact there are some things that I really enjoy (like my brown rice lentil curry) that I rarely cook because the kids and the husband don't like it. If I have to follow a super healthy diet, I will have an excuse. I have to cook these things and they will really just have to eat it or cook their own meals.

So I started reading.

Low sodium. Okay. I can do that. Lots of herbs, vinegar, lemon juice. I don't need salt. If they mean ALL THE TIME then it will be frustrating because I do sometimes like to eat out. I know restaurants have low-sodium options, but those are not usually the foods I want at restaurants. But I can do it.

Low protein. Sure. I was an almost-vegetarian for a long time. It is a diet I can totally get into. There's that mushroom and barely soup that I made once that was to die for, and there was that spinach thing...what was it called? I'm actually sort of excited. My kids hate these foods but now I will have to eat them. Ha!

I gots me a good attitude here.

"You may be asked to restrict your potassium and phosophorus intake." Foods on the no-no list: whole grains, legumes, lentils, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach.

I went to the bathroom and cried.

Roland found me and tried to comfort me. He was really nice. He was also trying not to laugh. For some reason he thought crying over mushrooms and spinach a little absurd. He did finally convince me that I should not assume that I would be denied multi-grain bread before they TELL me I can't eat it. Just chill and see what comes.

On the up side? The drug that keeps my hair from falling out is sometimes given to treat patients with limited kidney function! Not so much the one that keeps me from being bitchy, but I'll worry about that later.

Oh, I already know I worry too much. That's sort of the point of blogging. It helps.

2 comments:

  1. I think before you let yourself go completely crazy, you just need to go in and talk to your doctor. Right now, you are worrying about what it might be, and it could be something else. Just make an appointment and get in soon.

    I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My appointment is later this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.