Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What if?

I had an interesting conversation with Brian the other day.

A few days ago, for the first time, I considered the possibility that the agency just wouldn't find us a new kid. Evan would go to school, and Andrew would follow a year later. Both boys, like young people all over the world, would have an empty bedroom of their own waiting for them to occupy during holidays.

And most of the time it would just be me, Hubby and Brian.

Freaky.

I asked Brian what he would think about living like that -- just him and his parents.

"Well, what would be the advantages?"

"Um...you could have any bedroom you wanted."

"I like the bedroom I have."

"Anytime you wanted a parent's attention one of us would be available."

He looked at me strangely -- rather like I was telling him that we would never run out of milk. I followed up, "You know, there wouldn't be other kids needing things and we wouldn't always be driving them to appointments and stuff."

He still looked at me funny.

"You would not have to fight for the computer."

"I'm not going to have to soon anyway. Evan's giving his old computer to Andrew."

"But if we got a new kid you would have to share again."

"So?"

"So, what would you think if the agency just didn't find a new kid and it was just the three of us?"

He again looked at me like I was asking him what he would think about living on the moon, and said, "I think I am going to save up my allowance and buy my own laptop. I should be able to do it in about two years, I think. There really isn't anything I want to spend my money on."

Sure...back to reality mom.

2 comments:

  1. You have done so well by that boy. Open heart. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that is when you look at your baby and think "We've done good, we've done good."

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be open for a little while, then I will be shutting them off. The blog will stay, but I do not want either to moderate comments or leave the blog available to spammers.